IRIM researchers are experienced in designing and facilitating methodologically excellent, innovative and inter-disciplinary research, drawing on both quantitative and qualitative approaches for addressing relevant issues. They are familiar with statistical methods and available computer programs that allow for sophisticated analyses of the selected data.
Research projects undertaken by IRIM are conducted across the country and involve a variety of techniques and steps, covering various topics. Depending on project requirements, IRIM provides the following services for its clients:
- Develop technical and financial proposals relating to the project;
- Develop research methodology, tools and instruments;
- Provide data quality assessment and reviews;
- Organize field surveys and gather data using quantitative and qualitative data collection methods;
- Manage data, including checking, entering and cleaning;
- Provide advanced data elaboration and processing using SPSS, Stata and QDA Miner data analysis software;
- Summarize and write reports on research results and findings;
- Organize dissemination workshops, coordinate stakeholders and hold meetings and interviews with public officials, local governors and decision-makers.
IRIM has conducted high quality studies for more than 50 Clients and 100 partners, including the Government of Mongolia, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (see Projects). In implementing these studies, we collaborate with both national and international experts in the relevant field. This provides an opportunity for the project to be grounded and to meet international standards.
- Needs assessment: IRIM conducts needs assessments to determine the needs of the project target population and to identify appropriate planning and interventions based on the gathered evidence.
- Public perception survey: An important component of our research is public opinion and perception surveys. Some of our recent surveys include; Inflation Perception Survey (commissioned by the Bank of Mongolia); Water and Mining public perception survey (commissioned by IFC-World Bank).
- Policy research: IRIM implements policy researches deal with causal processes and explanations; evaluate a new or existing policy programmes, describe examples of best practice, measure social change, develop projections on the basis of large-scale modelling exercises. IRIM is committed to the development of policy that is founded upon sound research practices so as to ensure successful implementation.
- Qualitative research: IRIM conducts a number of projects that utilize a qualitative research design. Our methodological techniques involve case studies, focus group discussions, key informant interviews, observation studies and various participatory methods. Recently, IRIM has cooperated through UNFPA-Mongolia with John Hopkins University, in applying up-to-date qualitative research methods in our studies.
- Academic research: IRIM has partnerships with a number of national and international research and education institutions. As such, we have participated in joint projects that aimed to address research gaps through systematic investigation of a particular topic. For example, in 2013, in coordination with Professors from The University of California, Berkley, Brown University and the Swiss Development Cooperation, IRIM conducted a cross-cultural, cross-sectional, experimental gender-based survey. This work was unprecedented in Mongolia and represents IRIM’s commitment to academic research as the way forward for other forms of research, including the development of policy and best-practice tools.
Some of these research steps can be skipped depending on the specifics of the project.
Develop technical and financial proposals relating to the project
Develop research methodology, tools and instruments
Provide data quality assessment and reviews
Organize field surveys and gather data using quantitative and qualitative data collection methods
Manage data, including checking, entering and cleaning
Provide advanced data elaboration and processing using SPSS, Stata and QDA Miner data analysis software
Summarize and write reports on research results and findings
Organize dissemination workshops, coordinate stakeholders and hold meetings and interviews with public officials, local governors and decision-makers